This is your application! Don't let anyone deter you or straight up control how your application should look! Good luck and I am here to help!

Monday, June 6, 2016

Awesome month

The month of May 2016 has been nothing short of amazing for me.  I am truly blessed for all the great things that has happened to me.  I just thought I would share:


So I was able to get selected for OTS.  This is something I always wanted to do, but never truly knew it.  I know this doesn't make sense, but I can remember numerous officers in my career talking about either the Academy, ROTC, or OTS.  For some reason I could always picture myself doing it and knew that it was something I had to try to do.  I was always haunted by "what if" and this was a part of my driving force toward success and fulfillment.  For example, lets flash back x amount of years when I was down at the bar scene in SaTown or 6th Street in Austin.  I would never have experienced the memories I have if I had never made a move or attempted to initiate conversation (PG Version).  I would also never have met my wife or created my beautiful children if I decided not to try!  The thought of that is haunting.  Have you ever wondered what if?  I mean imagine the consequences or the possibilities had we tried/not tried...we like to refer this to preparation meeting opportunity in the Defender world.

Speaking of that!  I just had a memory of myself back in Lackland AFB!  I remember I was just promoted Senior Airman Below-the-Zone.  I was happy and enjoying some praise and congrats from my peers, supervisor, and superiors.  I cannot remember his name, but he was one of those dirt bag senior airman that had no direction in his career or maybe even life.  In fact, he is probably a reason why I am the way I am....I always appreciated dirt bags because it showed me the what not do do!  Anyway he told me to proceed to the clearing barrel to clear my weapon and turn in for the day.  As I am clearing out my weapon with Safe, Ammo, Clear, Safety (SACS ha ha) he said congrats buddy we're peers now!  I said thanks and tried to press on with turning in my weapon and going home to celebrate.  However, he decided to follow me up the stair case to the parking lot and he said:  You know Awesome Sauce, you're a really good Defender.  Everyone likes you and you make a great Airman; however, don't let all this success go to your head.  This really pissed me off because this was not the way anyone would ever see me.  I never let anything get to my head, I'd catch it first ( name that movie).  I said look, as far as I am concerned I am only a senior airman nothing more.  I look forward to going to ALS and supervising some airmen to be better than both you and I (too easy in regard to him).  He said see!  Thats what I am talking about, but I just wanted you to know that I don't see you making Chief.  I think master sergeant is the farthest you'll get to...what a dick right?!?! I thought there is no way I would settle for just master sergeant...I was going to be CMSAF!


***It's funny how I just had the realization that he may be right!***

Anyway the point of me sharing this with you is simple.  Set an agenda and get it done!  Don't ever let anything hold you back from applying.  We used to joke all the time that the best way to get rid of peer pressure is to simply give in.  Do not give in to peer pressure.  I cannot even tell you how many people were directly or indirectly attempting to stop me from applying to OTS.  The common denominator for these people were HATERS.

*OTS application was that Hot Girl at the Bar;  I would never know if I could get selected/her unless I made a move.*


So I said that May was an awesome month.  Well OTS is only half the equation.  A few weeks later I found out that I am a master sergeant select as well!  I always told myself to do my best to get either one of the two and my odds were good as it was a 50/50 chance....right?!  Like I said in my previous post....I studied my butt off and was the #1 select in my career field.  Before you haters whine and say well only people with huge TIG/TIS points get #1 in their career field...remember that this is no longer the case with the reduction of TIG/TIS!  I hit a 390 board score, 168 on my test, with a total score 53 points above the cute-off.

*Do your job, work hard, lead and treat people with respect, and study your ass off!*


It is still unknown when I will head to Maxwell for some 9.5 weeks of fun!  I may not even pin on master sergeant before I go, but it sure as heck feels good knowing that I earned a selection.  Do I feel bad that a stripe was "waisted" on me?  No!  Its like football, if you're hating/mad for a team running up the score....then stop them!

So the BLUF of this post?  Apply Apply Apply Apply!  Do not let anything get in the way, don't worry about your test scores, don't worry about shit that happened in your past!  Show the board that you're awesome today and that those lesson in the past was a necessary milestone to get you where you're at!

BOOM



No comments:

Post a Comment