This is your application! Don't let anyone deter you or straight up control how your application should look! Good luck and I am here to help!

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Selected

The first thing you need to know about the "estimated" board release date is that it will most likely get extended.  Our estimated board release date was 15 April.  It's crazy because normally delays are notified about a couple weeks in advanced.  Our board wasn't officially delayed until 1500 eastern time...the only way we knew it was delayed is because AFRS updated the SharePoint stating our board is delayed for approximately 3 weeks.  Oh man the agony!  Most of the civilians had to find out thru Facebook or the OTS Foundation Portal.  Anyway, hopefully they do a better job with the delay notification.  It was unfortunate that it happened that way.

***there are rumors that delays are a good thing; that the Air Force weren't happy with the amount selected to fill future vacancies***

Apparently a delay means more people are getting accepted and you could be picked up if you weren't originally a select.

So the new official public release was estimated for 6 May 2016.  This was crazy for me because I had to let my housing office know I was leaving at least 30 days prior to departure.  I also had to schedule TMO and all that because I chose not to do those BIG items until I was certain I wasn't leaving.  I decided to do my online moving brief just in case.

2 May 2016

I just got done cleaning out my inbox as a result of leave.  I went over and spoke to my CSS to see if they had heard anything.  The official release is just like the current SNCO promotion.  The wing knows a few days before the public release.  My CSS said they hadn't heard anything yet.  It was weird because you're trying to read them...if they're hiding something.  I couldn't read them.

I got back to my office and saw I had a new e-mail.  It was a system delivery...the first thing that came to mind was an ADLS CBT past due...ha ha.  I opened it up and it stated:

This is to inform you that your assignment has been cancelled.  Your MPS will send you a RIP with more details of your cancellation (something like that).  The first thing I did was leave my office and tell my co-workers my assignment has been cancelled.  They didn't know what to make of it and neither did I.  All I know I was pretty darn excited for not going to base x.  After a few moments of excitement I went back to the e-mail to print it off just in case.  I also decided to read the rest of the e-mail that said SEE REMARKS:

Remarks: Mbr selected for OTS!

I was ecstatic!  I took a picture of the e-mail and text my wife the photo.  She was happy and very proud of me.  I then lost control and made the announcement to my entire building.  CSS, Shirt, and the Chief!  They could not believe it...how did I get notified before them.  Everyone was confused and I was afraid it was a joke or someone was messing with me!  I went on fb and the OTS Portal and posted what happened.  There were a few others that got the same e-mail so this was a great sign!

5 May 2016:

We had a cinco de mayo luncheon that our squadron put together.  I was eating some awesome Mexican food and the group commander was there as well.  Once he was done eating, he got up got everyones attention and called me upfront.  He said well this may not be a surprise because I heard that Sgt Awesome Sauce was already notified, but I would officially like to present him these gold bars!  It was official I was a 16OT03 select!

6 May 2016:

Air Force released the selection list via mypers messaging system.  We were able to log on (CAC) and print out the message.  The list had the active duty selects and their commissioned AFSC next to it.  I believe civilians found out from their recruiters...I am not 100% sure on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment