This is your application! Don't let anyone deter you or straight up control how your application should look! Good luck and I am here to help!

Friday, May 6, 2016

AFOQT

The AFOQT is a BEAST!  The test started at 0800 and I don't think I left until 1230-1300 that day.  All I remember is that I was "smoked" when I got home and took a nap.

If I could go back:

I would spend a couple of months studying for this test.  I would like to remind you that this was July and I was targeting the 16OT03 board in January!  I should have taken the test in October, not August ha ha!

Studying:

Do not follow my past actions, but follow my advice.

STUDY STUDY STUDY

I highly recommend that you check out books from the local library.  I checked out books relating to the GRE, AZVAB, and other books recommended by the librarian.  These books were honestly paper weights and I did not study them as much as I should have.  I reviewed the books later and I know some of the information practically mirrored the test.

I did, however, spend a lot of time on the line (haha name that movie) taking practice test that resulted from Google search AFOQT.  The big ones I remember are the Petersons and AFOQTguide.com.  These test show you a good example of what you will endure.  I also like how they had the specific allotted time per sub test.  I recommend that you just stick to the FREE test.  I felt that the test I purchased were much easier than the free ones.  It was weird and I felt ripped off!

The killer for the AFOQT is TIME.  I recommend that you time yourself on the practice test mentioned above.  I don't feel that I truly rehearsed the stress of time and this upsets me because that is something I could control.  In my opinion the questions were not difficult; however, time snuck up on me and I ended up "christmas treeing" during the last 30 seconds of each sub test. Another piece of advise is to practice bubbling in an answer sheet.  I realize now that I was one practicing with circling answer choices...bubbling in on answer sheets take a little more time and made a huge difference in the real test.

Our administrator did not allow us to wear watches...the only official time was his stop watch and the clock in the room.  That sucked!!!

My Opinion:
I believe the AFOQT is mostly a deterrent for non-rated non-technical applicants.  You would not believe how many people decide NOT to put a package together because they have to take a test. I also do not see how being smart on Pilot, Nav, or Math makes you a better officer than some other non-rated non-tech applicant/officer.

So whats my point?  Take the AFOQT, meet the standards, and PRESS ON to your application!

Don't ever decide not to apply because you feel your scores are too low.  I can think of six NCOs that fell in this category.  Again, take the AFOQT, meet the standard, and apply!

Scores:

You need to understand that your scores are not the percentage you earned on the test.  Its a percentile compared to a certain controlled group.  To best explain this I will tell you my scores, but without telling you my scores:

Lets imagine the controlled group contained 10 people including me.  The number in each category would indicate how many I "beat" in that category.

Pilot: 3.6
Nav: 3.5
AA:  2.3
V: 3.6
Q: 1.8

My AFOQT took score 2.5 weeks

Like I said, TAKE THE TEST, MEET THE STANDARD, AND APPLY :)

Please view the BOT GUIDE for specifics on AFOQT standards and Q&A as it is filled with great info!

No comments:

Post a Comment