This is your application! Don't let anyone deter you or straight up control how your application should look! Good luck and I am here to help!

Friday, May 6, 2016

The binder/commander recomendation

The Binder:

The BOT Guide has tons of information and it is pretty much a step-by-step guide for the AD application.  I took the advice from http://journeytoairforceots.blogspot.com and made my own binder.  I bought my self a new 1" three ring binder, tabs, and a lot of sheet protectors to set it up.

I opened the BOT Guide and clicked on the little paperclip looking thing to open all the attachments and printed away.  I broke it down into sections and tabbed between each section with empty document protectors prior to each tab.  Everyone likes to organize their stuff in their own way and I simply chose to separate the guide by its attachments.  For example tab one was questionnaire 1, tab 2 was questionnaire 2 etc...If you do this ensure you understand how it is organize because things can get a little chaotic.  The empty document protectors were there for the FINAL PRODUCT of the item I needed.  For example, questionnare 1 was inserted only after I digitally signed it.

Table of Contents:

The BOT Guide has its own table of contents, but I made one specifically to how I organized my binder.  I also have a dopamine addiction so I made myself a "check box" or a to do list.  I simply checked the box when a task was complete.  Both were located in the front of my binder.

I printed the Privacy Act Cover and slid it into the front slot of the binder.  I also print a copy of the latest BOT schedule and inserted into the back side of the binder.  I did this to protect my information and just because...

I set up this binder and read the BOT Guide tons of times while awaiting my AFOQT results.  Please note that I did not do anything else until I was certain I met the basic AFOQT standards.  I found that I met the standards and continued my application.

Commander Recommendation:

Your commander will have a huge part in your application.  You will need their full support as they also have quite a lot to do!  I went to my CSS and scheduled the appointment with my commander.  Unfortunately, she was on leave and I could not see her until she got back.   The total wait time to meet with her was 8 days.

The wait actually worked out because this gave me the opportunity to do my job and ponder how the meeting might go.  I started thinking about my future role as an officer and "what" I would ask future AD applicants.  Here is what I came up with:

Why do you want to commission?
Why should I approve/endorse your application?
Do you feel you're worthy/able to put together an outstanding application?
Would you put your stripes on the line for an applicant like "me"

The last question is geared toward a commanders reputation.  I heard of commanders pencil whipping signatures on applications...This caused a bad reputation on their part due to their endorsement of a "poor" applicant.

I believe that you need to be ready for these types of questions.  A commander is literally stating that you would make an outstanding officer and/or future commander one day.  Be ready for commanders to drill you with questions during this request for their support.

My commander actually asked me questions that pretty much mirrored #1 and #3.  I felt that I nailed it!

She ended the meeting asking if I had any questions.  I simply told her that this application is "MINE" and NOT the chiefs, first sergeants, or the operations officers.  Therefore, I requested that I had straight access to her with documents needing her signature.  The reason I did this is because the formal method of routing takes too long!  I also did not want everyones hand in the cookie jar making all these changes.  Don't get me wrong, I do not mind grammatical  fixes (You probably noticed my grammar ain't that great).  However, I did not want any of the to change the spirit/character/attitude of my application.  Plus they ask way too many questions that slow down the application process.

She ultimately compromised and said I need to have her secretary review the items requiring her signature.  WIN!

***I highly recommend that you schedule this meeting with your commander, DO NOT drop a application on their desk without speaking to them first***

No comments:

Post a Comment