This is your application! Don't let anyone deter you or straight up control how your application should look! Good luck and I am here to help!

Friday, May 6, 2016

Initiating My OTS Application

I served in the AF for 12 years!  Why would I want to pursue a commission?!?

The actual idea of applying for OTS developed in July of 2015.   This is exactly when the Air Force decided announce the Master Sergeant promotes with the new two phase promotion program (Phase 1 WAPS and Phase 2 Board).  This was my second time testing in the 8T career field and I was not on the promotion list.  My total score was less than two points below the cut-off and my board score was 382.5.

I was disappointed by not making promotion; however, I was mostly worried about explaining this to my wife!  My wife has very high standards, she expects me to be the best.  Don't get me wrong though she is the driving force behind my success and I love that she holds me accountable.

You should have seen her face when I told her I didn't make it.  She didn't seem upset, but I could tell she was very disappointed.  One of the worst feelings, in my opinion, is disappointing someone that relies on me.  She verbally reflected all those hours I studied and all those days of extracurriculurs I participated in.  When she was done whining (haha) she said  "Well it looks like you will be applying for a commission, you owe me to apply."

The reason why she says I owe her is because I have been avoiding this application process for a few years.  I actually once started a package in 2012, but the Air Force canceled the boards for all applicants without a STEM degree.  I then went on stating how awesome I was at being a Non-Commissioned Officer and how I did not want to apply for OTS.  I also fell in love with the idea of making Chief Master Sergeant!

As I reflect while typing this I realized that not making master was a huge disappointment, but also a blessing in disguise.  I would not be in my current position had I made it that year.  It's amazing how some doors remain closed for a specific reason.

I called the education office the next day to inquire about the next AFOQT date.  It was set for August 31st which gave me a little over a month to prepare.  Thats enough time right?......

***Please understand that this is how my application was "initiated" not why I want to become a commissioned officer.  I will explain that later***

No comments:

Post a Comment